What to do if my dog ate chocolate?

This article contains affiliate links (Amazon and others) echoing my recommendations. Each of your clicks earns an affiliate commission and helps this blog live without advertising.

The holidays on various occasions are risky times for our four-legged friends who risk falling on chocolate and enjoying it without knowing that it is a dangerous food for them.

How much is toxic to a dog and what to do in case of poisoning?

Some tips to know …


How much chocolate will hurt a dog?


The main clinical signs of poisoning are primarily gastrointestinal.

After ingesting it, the dog experiences discomfort resulting in an upset stomach and may even have diarrhea.

If the quantity is large, more serious signs appear, such as hyperexcitability.

The dog becomes very nervous, he’s agitated, drinks more, urinates more.

If the quantity was toxic, neurological signs appear, resulting in respiratory problems, an accelerated heartbeat which can go as far as convulsions with hyperthermia, and even a coma.


How much is toxic to dogs?


There are over 500 varieties of chocolate, but the focus should be on dark chocolate.

The darker it is, the more cocoa it contains, the more toxic it is.

It contains theobromine, an alkaloid close to caffeine, a real poison for the body of your little companion.

If your dog has ingested a rate of 20mg of theobromine per kilo then you must urgently consult a veterinarian.


How much theobromine is in chocolate?


Rate of theobromine per gram:

white chocolate: 0.25mg per gram

milk chocolate: 58mg per gram

dark chocolate: 130mg per gram

baker’s chocolate: 393mg per gram

chocolate is dangerous for dogs


Theobromine level for dogs


First, note that a square of dark chocolate weighs about 30 grams.

If a dog weighing around 20 pounds ingests 3 ounces of milk chocolate – which contains 58mg per gram of theobromine – he reaches a level of around 8.7mg.

The dangerous 20mg threshold is far from being reached, you don’t have to worry.

 

On the other hand, if your doggie has indulged in devouring 3 ounces of dark chocolate – which contains 130mg of theobromine – he reaches a rate of 19.5mg.

You must act quickly because it is approaching the threshold of 20mg of potentially dangerous theobromine.

You have no choice but to see an emergency veterinarian.


How to treat chocolate poisoning in dogs at home?


If you cannot be immediately received by a practitioner, you can try to induce vomiting.

 

  • Hydrogen peroxide

The best method to make a dog vomit is 3% hydrogen peroxide.

You should then give him a teaspoonful for 10 pounds of body weight as soon as you notice his forfeit.

Then you renew 10 minutes later.

Do not go beyond these two doses because hydrogen peroxide is irritating to the esophagus and stomach.

The effect of hydrogen peroxide is manifested in 4 to 5 minutes.

The dog then regurgitates what he has ingested.

 

  • Activated charcoal

The particularity of activated charcoal is that it coats toxins to expel them and thus prevents the absorption of chocolate.

If you have some (and I advise you to always have some), feel free to give him two teaspoons for 10 pounds of weight diluted in a little water.

Use a syringe (without a needle!) to administer it.

Activated charcoal powder (#ad)

charcoal powder

In any case, do not postpone the visit to your veterinarian if you believe your dog has ingested a toxic level of theobromine.

This substance regulates our mood when we consume chocolate but is a real poison for your dog!


This article contains affiliate links echoing my recommendations.
I use Amazon’s Partner Program, an affiliate program designed to pay commissions through amazon.com links
This process does not affect my opinions in any way but each purchase helps this blog to live – Marie


This blog is copyright ©2022 by gomedica.org. All rights reserved

Marie

Natural health is paramount to me, natural remedies have always been part of my life. Whatever the problem, I make sure to find natural solutions that can often be associated with traditional medicine. Everything I write here allows me to share them with you.

Disclaimer
The content of this article is not intended to replace medical advice or any treatment.
Keep in mind that you should contact your doctor or any qualified healthcare professional to determine if you can add a supplement to your treatment or change your diet.

Leave a Comment

By continuing to read this blog, you agree to the use of cookies. Privacy Policies

The cookie settings on this site are set to "accept cookies" to provide you with the best possible browsing experience. If you continue to use this site without changing your cookie settings or if you click "Accept" below, you consent to this.

Close